parenting. you’re doing it right.
Beyond cute omg
i thought it was cute and then i realised what was on the tv and i melted
I’m not going to get into my stance on this, because I’m pretty sure I’ve made myself pretty clear based on some of the other posts I’ve reblogged regarding this, but I’d like to point out that at this point, this post has over 63,000 notes. But what I’ve yet to see people talk about is that this is NOT the full statement. Here is the rest:
That post has less than 900 notes. No one seems to be talking about THIS statement, probably because it’s not in line with the stance of tumblr, the internet, what seems to be a very vocal group think. The first part of Jon’s statement sounds like he’s in agreement with those who are against the 2D artwork for whatever reason, but whether or not he’s agreeing, this last part of the satirical statement raises the point he was trying to get across. Unfortunately that’s the part that seems to be getting glossed over.
A nice conversation I had with “the youngest graduate intern” Disney has. And she supposedly had access to their marketing decisions thoough I’m not sure she wasn’t bluffing b/c she didn’t actually seem to understand it.
It went on for a while but I’ll highlight some of the gems, and some of my responses, since unfortunately, this attitude is hardly limited to her. So it all started with my friend posting a link to the Merida redesign issues. So this girl responded…
- Making her more traditionally feminine, A Brilliant Strategy:
I worked in Disney I saw it. she looks about 17-20 now and thats the age of the majority of the disney princesses. the marketing strategy behind this is to add another age group to sell to. Its actually quite brilliant. In all reality its not that bad because it will now increase the amount of teens that will be attracted to the movie.
…U can have opinions but sometimes u get more out of life if u hear from people who have actually been there. [referring to her working at Disney]Me to her: Was your marketing internship actually in the princess section? You’re full of bs if you’re saying they redesigned Merida to appeal to 18 year olds. ALL their redesigns look like that. The majority of their merchandise is still in the YOUNG CHILDREN’S section, or have I missed something? And anyway, it’s beside the point. Daniella is saying there is a problem- there is. Them marketing it to people doesn’t make it holy or above criticism.
- Fat shaming and not really understanding the basic issue of why refusing to show a diversity of sizes and continually making the princesses skinnier than they already were is problematic:and yes disney’s business strategies are fuck smart wrong or right. that was my point. and studies or no studies. if a little girl is focusing how skinny a disney princess is… maybe mom needs to get her ass to the gym as wellNot only do studies about how media influences young girls and their perception of their bodies not matter, but if your daughter is having trouble with the ubiquity of the only-skinny-is-pretty underlying message, clearly, the solution is for you to work outevery little girl has a right to want to be a princess and look up to them. And Disney has a right to make their princess’ skinny.. thats the way our celebs look. And honestly being skinny is wht children should drive for our nation has the largest problem with child obesity on the earth… the first fucking lady has tried to get on disney to teach kids to eat healthy.I find this intentionally ignorant since we were concentrating on how this media issue led to eating disorders and poor self esteem the whole time. And she decided to assume skinny=healthy anyway, which isn’t true, and even if it were, chubby and fat kids still deserve to look at themselves and love themselves.Daniella you and your girlfriend are just as rude. I am educated about Disney marketing. They are damn Disney princesses I saw 1000s of little girls all shapes and sizes and colors wearing their customs little girls do not look at the size of a disney princessIf your ten year old daughter says look how beautiful she is mommy its normal if she says look how skinny she is.. you got a problem and its not coming from the disney princess its coming from what shes hearing mommy say when she looks at herself in the mirror at home, or little girls at school.…Again little girls that look at them and say oh mommy shes so skinny… thats coming from mommy obsessing over her weight.The problem isn’t media, it’s moms. Because moms and other little girls are also never influenced to think certain things about their bodies and those of others, because of media. All their ideas of skinny=healthy beautiful for everyone and fat=bad occur in a vacuum.
- Getting the REAL message:Its important for parents to pull the proper messages from the movies not jsut the princess’ image. Tatiana’s ambition and drive, Cinderella’s hope, Snow white’s non judgmental character and compassion, Ariel’s sense of adventure… these are the things Disney was going for.… I think its sad how parents get so bent out of shape, you can educate you daughter and make her love herself and think shes a disney princess to. Look at me im doing above and beyond and I have a little of all them.She is a Disney expert which is how she knows about the long lost twin of Tiana, Tatiana. And how can you not recognize that there is something wrong if you require a parent to be explaining things in order for it to be okay? Esp. when not all parents have the time to constantly re-educate their kids.i am the youngest person to have a graduate level internship in Walt Disney world. As well as continue to work with them while I acquire my Masters from Michigan in marketing and project management. I would however like to commend you on your eyesight, yes they all look the same it is a marketing ploy the damn cartoon look like our celebrities… so what i dont see you girls bitching about the fact that Aladdin has a 6 pack.. so does Channing tetum.A) If there were a prince line that altered all the princes, why wouldn’t we complain? B) not talking about Aladdin doesn’t make other points less legitimate C) celebrities are all thin and princesses look like celebrities so there’s no problem… what?The problem is your reading way to much into it. Little fat girls don’t have to get insecure because they dont look like ariel in a bikini, instead their feminist mothers could point out how independent she is.The defense of “you’re not concentrating on the right messages” is getting stale. No one is saying not to appreciate the Disney princesses for the good their personalities have. We’re critiquing the bad. If someone handed you a hot dog with a moldy bun, would you insist we were ignoring the hot dog to ask for some fresh bread??
- A long way of saying you’re missing the point:Me to her: It saddens me when women (or men) think there’s something superior about chivalry rather than common courtesy. If you would agree doors should be held open for women, why slam then in the face for men? There’s no reason to gender it. If what mattered was what is in the inside of the princesses, their bravery etc, then why can’t we have some warrior princesses? chubby princesses? etc?(warrior like, Merida & Mulan not getting changed)it’s not just a disney issue but a media issue when young girls almost never see leads who aren’t skinnier than humanly possible. It shapes how young girls see themselves. there is a reason eating disorders are rampant. If disney had a prince line equivalent to the princess line, yeah, we’d probably find issue with that. but the very presentation of men in media is gendered in itself. Men are often multiple sizes in film whether it is animated or not. lead women, again, are rarely presented as being something other than very thin. this is not difficult to observe.
- Who let this girl into the country:I’m not friends with her but my friend showed me this that came up as her fb status:Reason number 28935798236589436582765 why i love Africa.. there are no feminists running around to strangle chivalryPretty sure the entire country of South Africa might have a few feminists in there somewhere who don’t agree with you (just in case you’re wondering, she is not African, she is a white girl from America studying in SA).this is actually making me laughtalk to them about their African Bush meat project I started. This is pointless. you guys want to deprive ur future daughter of a lifetime of magic do it… but while ur add it you might as well do homeschooling, and get rid of your tv. Theyre fucking cartoon characters.(them=me and someone else.) Apparently if you have a white savior complex about your work in Africa, you don’t have to be accountable in unrelated conversations about problematic marketing. Also just to point out, no one was even talking about not letting their kids watch Disney. Guess not worshipping Disney’s every move means it’s time to chuck the TV forever
- Step back though:but i also know what im talking about. Debating must have gotten me somwhere since I was captain in high school and public speaking captain in university.ok that has nothing to do with anything I just want to point out that we’re all in our mid 20’s… betta not cross the high school debate captainnnn!
- More about the Disney Experience which really helped her growth as a professional in all senses of the word:And I was treated really well while I was there made a ton of money at a young age and it boosted my career. Are we done here? Cause honestly I think its gonna be a long time before you get it Mari and have a daughter to teach cause your going to end up a lonely dried up bitter fucking hag…mmm by the looks of a cat lady to lolcat lady and proud thanx. She also called me a carpet muncher and Catzilla when messaging my friend… b/c implying or assuming someone is a lesbian obviously means their critique isn’t valid, and assuming I’ll end up not married obviously means I’m a failure at being a womannn!
So after seeing Beauty and the Beast 3D, can I just take a moment to discuss the un-tapped potential of post-movie ending shenanigans.
Prince Adam will be the most adorable obnoxious prince ever (also he is so handsome and dreamy UNPOPULAR OPINION WHATEVER I was swooning, do you not see that barrel chest and aquiline nose and OMG TOOTHY GRIN uuuuugh hot hot hot). I mean, he spent his developing life as a chimera beast. He had a hearty roar! HIS TEMPER WAS TERRIBLE. His eating habits took effort! He could jump banisters! Shit just doesn’t go away when he’s human, god damn. For the most part he’ll be doing his best to act like a proper gentleman but when he’s excited he’ll run up the stairs on all fours and when he’s in a mood (which let’s be honest will be 99.99999% of the time I mean we all saw the same movie right) he’ll have horrible posture and pouting and growling with great gusto. Even if he technically can’t do that anymore.
Also whoever is of the opinion that Belle gave up her life to be married (i.e. her dreams of travel, adventure, and seeing more!!!) can just go jump off something humongous because, uh, hello she married a prince who gave her an entire library wing as a starter. This is the woman that saved his life and that he adores beyond belief!!! THEY WILL GO TRAVELLING EVERYWHERE. omg can you imagine the tourism antics. They visit Italy! Belle is beside herself at the BEAUTY EVERYWHERE OMG and Adam meanwhile is trying not to get into the third fight that day.
Also did you see how they kissed
THEY ARE ALL OVER EACH OTHER LOOK AT HOW THEY HAVE BEEN WANTING TO LUST OVER EACH OTHER THIS ENTIRE MOVIE but all the furry crap made it all awkward and now they’re like, HOT DAMN LET’S DO THIS ALL THE TIME.
They will be loud as hell and Chip will be asking very awkward questions as to why they are always fighting in their room.
brb drawing fanart
anyone else jumping on this fanart wagon because it can’t just be me
the Prince acting like an ill-mannered animal still learning how to use forks YES
#this is what i need #beauty and the beast #SHAKING HIMSELF DRY FROM THE RAIN AND THEN ROLLING AROUND IN THE CARPET #GROWLING AT STRANGERS #SNIFFING EVERYTHING #Belle has to calm him down by stroking his ears
Things I never thought about before but need more than air.
I can get behind this 110%
Fae-Fae, this is Relevant To Your Interests.
I have a MIGHTY NEED to see this!
while we’re at it, may i humbly request tumblr-wide redraws of screen caps from Beauty and the Beast where we replace the Beast with his human form?? because i would really love that.
I didn’t know I needed this until now.
Do I hear a proper hell to the yes and a good hoorah??
can we talk about how stunning this song is
Dat end note
Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz didn’t f**k around during the Disney Renaissance.
My favourite Victor Hugo-related soundtrack.
Yeah you heard me, Schönberg.
Dis song. <3
This was actually a pretty big Disney deal - Lady was one of the first female Disney characters to have conceivably had sex when she had her wild night out with Tramp. When she returned home, Jock and Trusty immediately offered to marry her so her reputation wouldn’t be sullied by her outing.
You go, Lady. Get your freak on :)
Reason number 5592939728184838 why Lady and the Tramp is one of my all time favorites.
I always wondered why they randomly offered to marry her lol guess it wasn’t so random!